Bearded dragons are popular pets, and as owners, it’s important to know what types of food are safe and nutritious for them to eat.
One food that may be in question is plums. Can bearded dragons have plums?
This article will answer the question: Can bearded dragons eat plums? Or cover all the information you need about plums for bearded dragons.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Plums?
The answer is yes; bearded dragons can eat plums in moderation.
However, it is essential to understand that fruit should only make up a small portion of a bearded dragon’s diet and should not replace its staple diet of greens and insects.
Benefits of Feeding Plums to Bearded Dragons
Plums can provide a variety of nutrients that are beneficial for bearded dragons, including:
- Vitamin A: Plums are a good source of beta-carotene, converted into Vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is essential for maintaining good vision, a strong immune system, and healthy skin and scales.
- Vitamin C: Plums are also a good source of Vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps protect the body against damage from free radicals. Vitamin C is also important for the growth and repair of tissues and for maintaining healthy skin and scales.
- Vitamin K: Plums contain small amounts of Vitamin K, which is important for blood clotting and bone health.
- Potassium: Plums are a good source of potassium, which helps to regulate blood pressure, support healthy muscle and nerve function, and maintain a healthy fluid balance in the body.
- Fiber: Plums also contain a small amount of fiber, which can help to support healthy digestion and prevent constipation.
Why Shouldn’t Feed Your Bearded Dragons Plums Daily?
While plums can be a delicious treat for them, limiting their intake is important due to potential health risks.
Here is a detailed explanation of why you should avoid feeding plums to your bearded dragon daily.
High Sugar Content
Plums contain high amounts of sugar, which can harm bearded dragons if fed in excess.
The high sugar content in plums can lead to obesity and other health problems if the reptiles consume too much.
Excessive sugar intake can cause blood sugar levels to spike, leading to health problems such as obesity, digestive issues, and an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Inappropriate Calcium to Phosphorus Ratio
Bearded dragons require a diet that is high in calcium and low in phosphorus to support their bone growth and development.
Plums have an inappropriate calcium-to-phosphorus ratio, which can lead to health problems related to bone metabolism.
An imbalanced calcium-to-phosphorus ratio can cause problems with bone development and metabolism, potentially leading to serious health problems such as metabolic bone disease.
How Often Should You Feed Your Bearded Dragons Plum?
As for plums, it’s best to offer them sparingly, no more than once or twice a month.
The high sugar content in plums can upset the delicate balance of nutrients that your bearded dragon needs to maintain its health.
Too much fruit can lead to obesity and other health problems, so it’s important to feed it in moderation.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Dried Plums?
It is not recommended to feed your bearded dragon deied plums.
Dried plums, also known as prunes, are high in sugar and can cause digestive problems for bearded dragons if consumed in large quantities.
Additionally, dried plums are often treated with preservatives and other additives, which can be harmful to reptiles if consumed.
How to Prepare Plums for Bearded Dragons?
Here’s how to prepare plums for your bearded dragon:
- Wash the Plums Thoroughly: Clean the plums under running water to remove any dirt or pesticides.
- Remove the Pit: Cut the plum in half and remove the pit. Discard it or compost it.
- Dice the Plum: Cut the plum into small, bite-sized pieces, about the size of a pencil eraser.
- Offer to Your Bearded Dragon: Place the diced plum pieces in your bearded dragon’s dish and let them enjoy!
It’s important to remember that fruits should only be offered in moderation as they are high in sugar.
Offer plums as a treat and not as a staple food. Also, make sure to thoroughly wash all fruits before offering them to your bearded dragon to prevent the spread of bacteria and parasites.
Plums can be a tasty treat for bearded dragons, but it is important to limit their intake due to the potential health risks associated with high sugar content and inappropriate calcium-to-phosphorus ratio.
A balanced diet that includes a variety of insects, leafy greens, and occasional fruits and vegetables is important to ensure optimal health.